Monday, June 21, 2010

I Am A Woman Of Science

So this summer I've made the decision to put together a cosplay for Professor Araragi. It's a simple costume and I could get it togehter pretty cheaply. And it is a hell of a lot of fun. I now have all of the pieces, though I still need to actually assemble a few things and figure out how to get my wig to sit right.



We ordered the skirt off of eBay and I was really worried it wasn't going to work out, but it is actually totally perfect. It is EXACTLY the right green and it fits me really well. It's a little big, but it came with a little belt that I can wear that will make it sit right.

We got an inexpensive white t-shirt from K-mart, and some simple slip-on shoes from payless. then we hit up A.C. Moore to get things to alter the shoes and make the earrings. My ears aren't pierced so I have to get bases for clip-on earrings. I bought magnets but unfortunately it isn't working. I'd planned to just buy clip on bases but they didn't have any. But we'll see what happens.



The thing we're really trying to figure out right now is the wig. It didn't hold up very well over the course of the day. A wig cap should solve some of the problem (the only one I have is blue, so it's not useful for this wig), but there's still hte matter of getting her up-do right. Mom bought those Goody "Spin Pins" so she's going to let me try them, and if it works she's going to buy me a set so that I can use those.



The biggest truggle right now is actually playing the part of Araragi. Since she is new and the information we have on her is minimal, her personality is still a very elusive factor. I was sort of making it up, playing off personality details inferred from the one image we have of her and how I think a woman in her profession might act.

All of the photos from the shoot are available here. It was an incredibly fun time and I' like to give it another test run sometime in July before Otakon to make sure I've got things down right before I hit up Otakon with a costume that isn't ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment